My Trip to Japan 2016 - Kyoto - Nishiki Market and Tenmangu Shrine

I decided to separate out the post to Nishiki Market and Tenmangu Shrine just so that I'll be able to cover the stuff we ate. It's a very busy market after our trip to Sanjusangendo.

We waved our way through the market and just stop to buy whatever looks interesting. People will usually line up for pickles (I know, right?), spices, desserts and more fried snacks.

This dango looking sweet took our fancy. Mom and I ordered one each. The one on the left is a bit sweet and salty and the one on the right was with sweet red beans.


One of our snacks at the market is a boiled ebifuki - it's a shrimp cake. I thought this one was just ok.


They have a cafe just dedicated to Snoopy!




And I can't leave the market without one of these - soy milk donut! Delicious! They were light and airy. Not too sweet of course. We had the one with brown sugar syrup.


On the way out, I saw this - fresh wasabi! Looks freaky, huh? 


At the end of the market (or the start, whichever way you want to look at it), is Tenmangu Shrine, guarded by this idle cow looking onto the market street.


Night is almost upon us, which means, it's time for dinner! We had 2 dinners tonight - at an unagi restaurant and to an izakaya at Pontocho called Ponto. We also had a short stop for green tea shaved ice and red bean snack at Restaurant Kikusui close to the Gion Shijo Station.

Comments